I have a confession to make – I used to refuse to eat chicken thighs. Why? I really don’t know why, but I just couldn’t eat them. Now, they are a weekly staple in our house! This meal is actually something that my husband requests often, and it was a bestseller when I used to have my meal delivery service.
The nice thing about these Lemon-Thyme Chicken Thighs is that they are gluten free and you don’t even realize it! I used to use cornstarch in this recipe, but recently switched to arrowroot starch. You could certainly stick with cornstarch, if that’s easier, but I really like how crispy they turned out with the arrowroot.
In case you didn’t know, arrowroot is derived from a tropical plant. It is more nutritious than cornstarch, as it contains more dietary fiber and is higher in calcium. Again, cornstarch works just fine in this recipe, so simply use what you have available!
What you will need for the Lemon-Thyme Chicken Thighs:
- Chicken thighs
- Lemons (really, I just keep an entire bag of lemons on hand most of the time.)
- Lots and lots of fresh thyme
- Avocado or Grapeseed oil (I always cook with these, because they have a higher smoke point than olive oil, so they don’t burn in your pan)
- Shallots (again, keep these handy at all times)
- White Wine
- Butter (again, keep it stocked!…see a theme here? I like to cook with things from my pantry as much as possible)
What you will need for the Rice Pilaf
- Brown rice
- Vegetable stock
- Butternut squash
- Dried cranberries
- Baby kale
- More thyme…I know you’re shocked.
Enjoy, and as always let me know what you think over in Instagram @thesugarandsaltco!