I have been trying to master a recipe for zucchini boats for a long time, and I think I’ve finally figured it out!
This recipe is soooo easy to make, gluten free, can be served as an appetizer, and you could use this filing as a stuffing for manicotti or even as a dip with veggies or tortilla chips. It is SO versatile!
I like to add a dash of nutmeg to my creamy sauces and fillings, because it just adds a little balance of sweetness to the salty flavors.
There are really no tips and tricks to share, because this recipe is so straight forward. I do want to point out that if you want to serve these zucchini boats as an appetizer at your next party, I recommend cutting each zucchini half into thirds. This will make it easier to pick up on a buffet.
Enjoy, and as always let me know what you think on Instagram @thesugarandsaltco!
Spinach and Feta Keto Zucchini Boats
- 1 Large baking sheet
- 1 spoon for scooping
- 1 Chef's knife
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- 1 Saute pan
- 1 Medium mixing bowl
- 4 each medium zucchinis
- 10 ounces baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon avocado or grapeseed oil plus more for drizzling
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese (about 8 ounces)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 1 cup feta cheese (about 6 ounces)
- 2 each eggs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon coarse Kosher salt plus more for sprinkling
- ½ teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- Dash nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Slice zucchini in half lengthwise. Place on a large baking sheet. Drizzle lightly with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for approximately 15 minutes, or until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, heat avocado oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add spinach, and cook until just wilted. Remove from heat and let cool for 10-15 minutes. Using a dish towel, squeeze excess water out of spinach.
- While THE zucchini bakes, stir together ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, feta cheese, eggs, garlic, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Once excess moistures has been squeezed out of the spinach, stir it into cheese mixture.
- Divide cheese mixture evenly among zucchini boats, and bake for another 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and serve with a side salad or protein of your choice.
- NOTE: If you want to serve this as an appetizer, follow the same method, but cut your zucchini into 3 pieces.
- If you want to serve this as an appetizer, follow the same method, but cut your zucchini into 3 pieces.
- For less salt in the mixture, use 4 ounces of feta cheese instead of 6 ounces.