Protein bites are such a great way to get a burst of protein and energy when you’re on the go. As a mom of two, I’m on the go A LOT. Before kids I always said I couldn’t understand how people could “forget” to eat, or just get too busy. I now totally get it! The days just fly by, and between work, kids, pets, cleaning, cooking, etc. There just are not enough hours in the day. These protein bites have proven to be a total lifesaver on busy days! Plus, they are just so yummy!
An added bonus of these bites is that my kids love them too, so it makes snack time a breeze. I like to make them into balls, but you can easily press them into a pan and cut them into bars once chilled.
Some tips and tricks:
- Pulse your mixture about 15 times or so before leaving the food processor running until smooth.
- Definitely don’t skimp on the Kosher salt. The salt balances the sweetness of the dates and nuttiness of the cashews. Kosher salt is the best for this, too, because you get a little bite of salt every now and again.
- I recommend that once you finish processing these in the food processor, put the mixture in a bowl and gently mash together to mix a little more. This ensures the mixture has come together evenly.
- Chill the bites for a few minutes before eating. You can leave them at room temperature, but they hold up a little better if you chill them. Plus, I really like to eat them right out of the refrigerator. They just taste so yummy that way!
This recipe is the epitome of why I named my blog sugar and salt. The sweet and salt balance each other out perfectly, and that’s just how life should be!
Enjoy, and as always tell me what you think over on Instagram @thesugarandsaltco!
Cashew and Date Energy Bites
- food processor
- cookie scooper
- 3 cups raw unsalted cashews
- 1 pound pitted dates
- 1 teaspoon coarse Kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons protein powder of your choice
- Place all ingredients in a food processor. Pulse 15-20 times, until mixture begins to come together.
- Remove lid and scrape sides of food processor bowl. Turn processor on and blend JUST until mixture comes together.
- Scoop, using a 1 ½ tablespoon scoop. Roll into balls. Refrigerate for 15 minutes, and then they are ready to eat! Protein bites will keep in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks….but they probably won’t last that long!
- Be sure not to overmix.
- Refrigerating for 15 minutes allows the energy bites to set completely so they are easier to transport and eat.